Streuselschnecke

Origin - Germany 

I was sorting out pictures on my old computer today and found a folder of my Eurotrip picture stack and remembered I haven´t had any of these german pastries in a very very long time.
In 2009 I fulfilled one of my lifetime dreams and went backpacking through europe for a month an a half... When I was walking through the streets of Berlin I would always end up eating an endless amount of a very sweet pastry that you could buy virtually anywhere for less than 1 euro.


Obviously when I came back from my trip I had the intention of replicating them and sharing them for my family, a task that proved a little more challenging  than I had imagined. First of all I couldn't remember the exact name for it, so coming up with the word was hard because I cant speak any german so researching german food blogs wast as easy as putting a name in google images and clicking GO ! But.. I eventually found the "german pastry" that resembled what I had, and got three of four recipes from different places and experimented with different variations until I got something I thought pretty decent. 

So here I sit, a couple of years later, going through the pictures and I rescued the recipe for the Streuselschnecke and I thought I`d share it here, so if you`re wondering what german pasrties look and tastes like... here you go !! 

Streuselschnecke Recipe

Ingredients:
Dough
500 gr all purpose flour
80 gr sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
75 gr butter
250 ml milk
1 pack dry yeast

Streusel
125 flour
80 gr sugar
1 tsp salt
25 gr almonds
100 gr butter

Glaze
200gr powreded sudar
1 lemons (juice) 

Directions:
  1. Mix dry yeast with 1 tsp of sugar, part of the flour and milk in a bowl and let stand 10 minutes. Then add salt, remaining flour, sugar and butter at room  temperature and knead into a dough. 
  2. Rest the dough about 30 minutes or until its doubled in size.  
  3. Divide into 12 balls and press down on floured baking tray
  4. Mix the ingredients for the streusel and place on top of the dough balls (you paint with egg white or water for the streusel to stick better). 
  5. Let rise for another 30 minutes then bake for 25 minutes at 180 ° C 
  6. Just before taking the Streuselschnecke out of the oven, mix powdered sugar with lemon juice and maybe a little water to glaze stir and glaze the pastries as soon as they come out of the oven.


Luz

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario